Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Just keep dreaming...


“All dreams can come true, if you have the power to pursue them”.  When I finished my book Camp Silverheart, it was truly a dream that I pursued for more than two years. Now that it has been in publication for a few years I have recently been editing it for a future audio book release.  

In order to create an audio flow to the story I taped myself reading the book.  Have you ever listened to yourself on a recorder? It is humbling.  It took me 24 hours of straight reading to finish taping the twelve hour audio novel. When I was finished, I listened to the adventure and could see the events in the book play out in my mind. It was like it was a movie in my own head.  I thought to myself at the time that it would be amazing if Camp Silverheart was made into a movie. Well it has also been said (by Harriet Tubman) “That every great dream begins with a dreamer!” So dream away I did. Vividly, I could see the characters play out on the silver screen. 

Two weeks ago out of the blue I was blown away when I got a call from my publisher.

The first thing he said was "Have you ever considered for even a moment that your book could be adopted into a movie?" Really! It took me a moment; because that’s the way it works sometimes. Put the dream out there, have strength, clarity, the willingness to pursue, patience, and the dream manifests. I replied, "That would be a wild dream of mine."

He explained, “Your books genre is getting a lot of attention in the movie industry. You have been chosen as one of 150 authors to present your book to over 80 movie industry professionals in New York City in late October”. The pitch is made available to agents, actors, producers, directors, and screenplay writers on the lookout for fresh material to develop into full length feature films. Imagine face to face with professional film and entertainment moguls in the heart of Times Square.

My publisher continued to share his excitement by explaining that some of the films produced from authors at previous events were Click with Adam Sandler, 13 Going on 30, 17 Again with Zac Efron, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, and Devil’s Advocate.

     Suddenly the dream was one more step closer to reality. When I got off the phone my head was spinning and I actually felt a little overwhelmed by the possibilities. Nonetheless, I am excited about the possibilities. I don't know what will happen next, but the door to a dream has opened - so I will just keep dreaming!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment