Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Stress FREE state of mind!

            A lesson I learned a long time ago was the only thing we can truly control in our LIFE is our own state of mind. Learning to take control of our emotional state of mind can create a sense of power, peace, and is a discipline that continues to strengthen with time.
          As a doctor I love to learn, absorb, and simplify complex processes. One of the most interesting ideas Ive come across is the ability to see how our brain works, and train patterns to create the best and healthiest response possible. This concept seems to pay off more often than not. My ultimate goal for myself and my patients is to create a healthier brain and nervous system. Many times the stresses we put on ourselves are self-inflicted by our own actions, and are in response to the different LIFE situations we experience. In my own experience the technique Ive learned to create the best outcome when controlling the state of mind is to ASK a better question. The ability to strive and consciously look for the highest purpose in the choices we make can create a more positive outcome
If a stressful situation arises in your own life, a great pattern interrupting question to ASK: How can I be calmer at this specific moment? Just by stopping to ASK this question can give your current state of mind time to pause and access, instead of reacting by instinct.
           I have created my own list over time of what I call C states or emotions. C states stand for calm, creative, curious, collective, caring, and centered. This process of remembering C states helps to evaluate the emotional state I am striving to create before I might overreact. My body and mind are healthier in the long run by not creating an unnecessary fight or flight stress response. Also, I have learned to decrease my personal level of stress by avoiding what I call F states. These states are often self-inflicted, energy draining responses that can be avoided. F states stands for fearful, frantic, fragile, forgetful, furious, and frustrated.
          The intent of this blog is to teach you that YOU have ability to consciously create our own internal state. Unconscious feelings can be turned into much healthier emotions when reflection and re-evaluation are present. Stopping for even just a moment before you react is a much healthier choice, and can result in the ability to be more proactive and less reactive with all life situations. Next time a stressful situation finds you try ASK-ing yourself a BETTER question. Thinking BETTER is always a healthier choice in the long run.

 
SMART learning lesson:

 ASK a better question before you react

Create C states        Cool, Calm, Collective, Creative, Curious, Concentration, Caring.

Avoid F states.        Frantic, Frustrated, Frenetic, Fragile, Forgetful, Furious, Fearful.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment