Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Grateful Way of Healing


      Since my dad had a stroke two years ago it's been really tough on him to just do the simple things in life. I know it can be easy to take things for granted.  Daily most of us have the freedom of dressing, driving, and taking care of our basic needs. Since his stroke he needs help in almost everything.

   On the day of my dad’s first visit to an adult health and recreation center he fought going like a good brawler from Chicago. (He was born and raised there).  I had the opportunity to go with him on his first visit to the center.  Just getting out of the house presented its own set of challenges. When we both arrived it was a little overwhelming to witness the wide variety of serious medical conditions the guests at the center were faced with.   

     About 45 minutes into his visit I could see a change in my dad’s attitude. He looked over at me and said “I guess I don't have it that bad after all". I could see the emotion of gratitude for what he could do as opposed to what he couldn't do for himself. I could feel the healing moment that truly revealed how grateful he was to still be alive. Healing takes time and is only about half health. The rest is our attitude and perseverance.  It’s our connection to others.

 

Donate some time at a senior center to help others and live a life of gratitude for your life!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment